I love summer cooking! We use our grill constantly cooking a mix of both meats and vegetables as main course items, fresh herbs picked from our neighbor’s massive garden, and a wide selection of beautiful produce from our wonderful Raleigh Farmer’s Market. But lets be honest, I really love helping other people cook. I’m fantastic with side dishes and desserts, a whiz at prep and clean up, and I’m no fool when it comes to suggesting we grill ~ translation my husband cooks for us constantly!
So when The Motherhood asked me to be part of Team Raleigh for Lawry’s Fabulous Summer of Flavor, my first question was who is on my team? They had me at fabulous North Carolina foodies I know and love ~ meet Team Raleigh (including me)!
- Ilina Ewen (@IlinaP)
- Fadra Nally (@allthingsfadra)
- Leigh Hines (@hinessightblog)
- Lisa Frame (@mommyality)
- LZ (@MyMessyParadise)
North Carolina loyal to the bone, we sought in-season local ingredients to create a menu that would be perfect for special occasions, and summer holidays. More importantly, we wanted each item to be full of unexpected and delightful flavor, offering your palette poetry by taste bud. Ilina and Fadra are rubbing off on me ~ they love food and the words that describe it! Finally, we wanted recipes simple enough so that the hostess doesn’t have to be in the kitchen but enjoying her party and her guests. Now you know we are talking my organized entertaining language here! I’ve got some great pics on our GO MOM! Facebook Fan page too.
There are nine other teams around the country who are attempting to create winning recipes and the team that comes up with the tastiest or most interesting recipes (as determined by a panel of Lawry’s judges) will be featured on the Lawry’s Facebook page! North Carolina proud, we aim to post and would love your support by commenting and tweeting with us over the next few weeks. The judging period will be open from August 15th to August 24th.
Welcome to our table ~ we hope you enjoy our feast!
Five Points Flank Steak
- 1 cup Lawry’s Original Seasoned Salt Marinade
- ½ fresh pineapple, cut into chucks
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobe sauce
- ½ cup ginger beer
- ¼ cup of olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- flank steak (about 2 pounds), trimmed of excess fat
- Add first six ingredients to food processor (We used the Ninja Kitchen.). Pour liquid into a large glass casserole dish, and add meat whole. Turn to coat the flank steak. Marinate at least three hours (turning occasionally) or overnight. Grill about three to four minutes each side, let rest for about five minutes, and slice against the grain to serve.
- Garnish: Cut up remaining pineapple into slices, marinate with flank steak, grill, and use as an edible garnish.
- Vegetarian Option: Marinate Portobello mushrooms instead of flank steak using the same recipe above, and grill each side until done, about two minutes per side.
Carolina Corn Salad
- 4 to 5 ears of fresh sweet corn
- 2 roma tomatoes, diced
- ¼ cup of fresh cilantro, chopped
- ¼ cup of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of Lawry’s Balsamic Herb Marinade
- juice of 1 lime
- ¼ teaspoon of Lawry’s Seasoning Salt
- 1 Serrano pepper, seeded and dice (optional)
- 2 ounces crumbled queso fresco (optional)
- Cut raw corn off the cob into bowl. Add diced tomatoes and cilantro and gently mix. In a glass measuring cup, combine ¼ tsp of Lawry’s Seasoned Salt, 2 TBS of Lawry’s Balsamic Herb Marinade, ¼ cup of olive oil, and juice of one lime. Pour over corn salad and toss well. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving. Optional, add Serrano pepper and/or crumbled queso fresco cheese to mixture.
Grilled Fennel, Radicchio, and Vidalia onion, the Raleigh Way
- (Side Option)
- 1 whole head of radicchio, quartered
- 2 bulbs of fennel, thickly sliced
- 1 large Vidalia onion, thickly sliced
- ½ cup of Lawry’s Balsamic Herb Marinade
- 1 TBS brown sugar
- cracked black pepper, to taste
- Lawry’s Seasoned Salt, to taste
- Combine radicchio, fennel, and Vidalia onion in large bowl. Pour ½ cup of Lawry’s Balsamic Herb Marinade over vegetables. Add brown sugar and freshly cracked black pepper, (approximately five good twists of the pepper mill) and sprinkle mixture with Lawry’s Seasoned Salt. Toss vegetables well. Arrange seasoned vegetables on grill pan or foil, grill for approximately 15 minutes until vegetables are tender. Brush with marinade during grilling of the vegetables to prevent drying out. Toss gently on a platter and serve warm or at room temperature.
Capital City Herb Butter with Whole Wheat Flatbread
- 1 stick of unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 tsp of Lawry’s Seasoned Salt
- Clove of fresh garlic, crushed
- fresh thyme, ¼ quarter cup
- whole wheat flat bread
- Combine butter, Lawry’s Seasoned Salt, garlic, and thyme. Mix well. Spread herb butter mixture onto flatbread. Stack bread on top of each other, wrap it in foil, and heat on grill. Cut into quarters to serve.
Bloody Marytini (extra credit thanks to Ilina’s 5:00 Fridays feature ~ you had to know!)
- 2 ounces Pepper vodka (Absolute Pepper)
- 1 ounce tomato juice
- Splash of clam juice
- Squeeze of lemon & lime
- Lawry’s Seasoned Salt
- Pickled green bean garnish
- Pour some Lawry’s Seasoned Salt Fill into a small dish. Rub a lime around the edge of a chilled martini glass and dip into the salt. Set aside. Fill a cocktail shaker with ice. Add vodka, tomato juice, and clam juice. Give it a good shake and strain into chilled, salted martini glass. Squeeze a lemon and lime wedge into the glass and garnish with a pickled green bean.
To make it easy for you to check them out, Lawry’s has generously provided a box of Lawry’s products! You’ll receive the exact same items we did, making it possible for you to recreate our amazing goodness right in your own home. Here’s what will be included in the giveaway:
- 16 oz Seasoned Salt
- Balsamic Herb Marinade
- Seasoned Salt Marinade
We’ve got 2 ways to enter!
1. Leave us a comment below about your favorite item to grill.
2. Tweet this “Why yes @MyGOMOM, I want to serve the #TEAMRALEIGH #Lawry’s Menu for my next special occasion!” Be sure to leave us a comment indicating that you have with a link to the tweet.
The Giveaway is open starting August 15th through August 24th, 2011 at midnight. The winner will be chosen by random drawing and will be notified within 48hours, announced on Twitter and communicated with directly by email so please be sure to include it. Good luck!
Disclosure: My post is part of a compensated campaign with The Motherhood and Lawry’s. The products used in this post were provided to our team free of charge by the manufacturer and/or The Motherhood. The recipes included are the original creations of the talented team. I was compensated for my participation and as always, all opinions are entirely my own.