Earlier this month I was at BlogHer and like anyone there, have returned home with a stack of cards. They can be so hard to handle on site as you meet new people, network about opportunities, and try not to lose the cards while remembering why they mattered in the first place. I was surprised at how many cards I shared even though I had 2 to offer and even with my copious notes, I’d be lying if I didn’t say I am pressed to recall every detail the way I would have liked. The honest truth is conversations at a conference move fast and you need a strategy to help you capture what counts while your mind is on overdrive. Here are my top 5 tips to show you how to organize your business cards:
- Take a business card folio. As you go through the week you can slip them in as you receive them.
- Make a note on the card about the person or reason you want to follow up
- Flag your business card holder by day to help you keep cards sorted one more layer
- Once you get home file the cards. You might set it up by PR and Bloggers including notes about the conference where you met the person.
- Use those QR codes to scan information and take your information digital. Create a spreadsheet or Google Doc that could help you sort and sift cards any way you want.
We may have met at BlogHer where I handed out 2 cards, both carrying a QR code. My personal business card includes a QR code that takes you directly to our about page and helps you learn about me right away. My Stow Company Brand Partner card includes a QR code for The Stow Company’s $5,000 ORG Garage giveaway. Okay…I know that’s probably a lot more amazing than my about page…I get it. So don’t tell me you haven’t scanned that yet ~ cmon now ~ go find it and scan it…NOW!
If you missed me at BlogHer or weren’t able to attend, the good news is you can still enter to win. The Stow Company is randomly selecting one lucky winner to receive a custom designed and professionally installed ORG Garage makeover ~ HELLO! Enter the ORG My Garage Makeover Sweepstakes for your chance to win at http://www.Facebook.com/TheStowCompany. Contest ends on September 15, 2011. Only one entry per person. For official rules, please go to http://bit.ly/plCTPZ
So back to those business cards…how do you keep them organized both onsite and once you get home?
Disclosure: I have been retained by The Stow Company to attend BlogHer 2011 on their behalf. As part of this project, I am posting after the event to promote the giveaway that was part of my business card. My content is original and opinions entirely my own. However given that The Stow Company is a home organization company, it’s fair to say we share many of the same opinions when it comes to the awesome life that is all things organized ~ enjoy!